Additional opportunities such as calls for art are posted, as they become available, on the Opportunities page.
This exhibition opportunities has now passed.
Young Space invites submissions of contemporary visual art for an online exhibition in February 2020! This is an opportunity to submit your work for consideration for a curated virtual show. I’m also very excited to introduce the next co-curator for a Young Space exhibition, David Smith, Denver-based owner and director of David B. Smith Gallery. In a continued effort to make these opportunities more valuable for artists, viewers and collectors, I’m collaborating with curators, gallerists, and other art world professionals to bring a variety of voices to the table. You can read more about David below! –Kate x
How it works (please read carefully!)
The online shows aim to be internationally accessible, 24/7, curated, professional, virtual presentations of exciting contemporary work from around the world. The show is presented on an autonomous website that is promoted on yngspc.com and via social media, and each work is highlighted individually on the @yngspc Instagram (98K+ followers, including gallerists, curators, and collectors) throughout the run of the show.
It’s helpful to check out yngspc.com/artists or scroll through the Instagram gallery to get a feel for the varieties and styles of work there, to get an idea if you think your work aligns with the Young Space aesthetic. Young Space aims to highlight a diverse range of practices. Please note that there is a submission fee, which supports Young Space as an independent curatorial platform.
About the curators:
David Smith is the owner and director of the David B. Smith Gallery in Denver, Colorado. Committed to presenting intelligent and culturally relevant exhibitions, the Gallery features the region’s most important emerging talent alongside internationally recognized artists. Through the Gallery’s curatorial program, participation in art fairs, and extensive media coverage, David has cultivated a strong national and international audience. The New York Times hailed the Gallery as offering “an exciting contrast of cutting edge works”. The Gallery also maintains an active publishing division, which produces exhibition catalogues and editions.
Kate Mothes is founder and curator of Young Space. To read more about the project, visit yngspc.com/about. She received a Masters in Art History, Theory and Display from Edinburgh College of Art at the University of Edinburgh, and her Bachelors in Art History from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition to yngspc online exhibitions, selected recent exhibitions include Yulia Iosilzon: Paradeisos at Carvalho Park, Brooklyn, NY; BIG LINK at Standard Projects, Hortonville, WI; Crocodile Tears at Morgan Fine Arts and Film Center, Brooklyn, NY; Wolves by the Road at Assembly House, Leeds, UK; and Run Straight Through at Torrance Art Museum, Torrance, CA. She was recently curator-in-residence at PADA Studios in Lisbon, Portugal, for the month of April 2019, and juror for the inaugural MFA international print edition of Create Magazine in Summer 2019. Read more here.
Please complete both Step 1 and Step 2 below. Your submission will not be considered until both steps have been completed.
Send any questions or concerns you may have via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All correspondence will be through email only. If you encounter any issues with this form or any other part of the submission process, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
All artists in all career stages are eligible to submit work for consideration. Work submitted must be new within the last two years. There is no limitation on geographic location, theme, or medium. If selected, you may be asked for additional information, or to participate in an interview for further promotional purposes.
IN BRIEF – WHAT TO UPLOAD in the form below:
- Fill out all fields in the entry form
- Upload images of your work
- Upload a brief statement of your work (300 words max)
- Upload a PDF file of your CV
- Submission fee
SPECIFICATIONS + REQUIREMENTS:
- Artists may submit up to five (5) distinct pieces of work for consideration.
- Only completed artworks will be considered.
- Images must be of professional quality with good lighting. (These are the images that will represent your work online. “Professional quality” can mean actual professional images, or phone photos if they look professional!)
- The below form does not support video files. If submitting video/new media work, please attach a still from each work and include links to the videos online, or send video files to email@example.com.
- Images and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the form below.
- Artwork does not have to be for sale. For work that is for sale, Young Space will handle all sales and related communication.
- Young Space asks for a 35% commission total on any sales. Please factor in this amount when determining your prices. (We suggest but do not require that artists honor 10% commission of any additional sales made directly because of the exhibition.)
- Substitutions are not guaranteed. Please be aware that if an accepted work sells prior to the exhibition or becomes otherwise unavailable, there is no guarantee that another work will be substituted.
- Artists whose work is included in the exhibition agree, if work sells, to package and ship the work in a professional and safe manner, or have it professionally packaged, and posted at the most economical rate. Prospective buyers are responsible for shipping, however at the time of sale the artist will communicate with Kate about the best methods and postage rates for shipment, depending on the size/scale of work, before the sale is confirmed.
- Artists must agree to ship internationally if work sells. Buyers will be responsible for shipping costs. Work is only shipped if sold (as a virtual exhibition, there is no need to ship works otherwise, keeping costs down for all).
- Artists must agree to keep the work exclusively available for this exhibition during the length of the exhibition. ie. It cannot be exhibited for sale elsewhere during the dates that it is available online.
- Entry Deadline: December 22, 2019, 11:59pm CST.
- All artists will be notified of the final decision by Monday, January 20, 2020. If your work is selected, you will receive further information at that time.
- All selected work will be on display online from February 3 – 23, 2020.
Submission fee is $15 (nonrefundable) per artist, regardless of the number or type of works submitted, limit 5. Online entry only via website. Credit/debit card via PayPal (at this time, we can only accept PayPal for international transactions). All proceeds from fees cover administrative costs and directly fund Young Space projects and opportunities such as this one. Young Space is totally independent and your support is greatly appreciated!
Agreement & Photography
Young Space reserves the right to use images of the artwork for publicity and educational purposes in perpetuity.
By submitting artwork via this call, the artist is agreeing to the terms outlined above.
- PLEASE LABEL IMAGE FILES USING THE TITLES OF WORK.
- Images must show the exact work you are submitting.
- Images should be a maximum of 3MB each.
- Acceptable file formats are .jpg/jpeg or .png. No PDFs. (PDFs for text documents are OK.)
Please follow the 2 steps below:
- Online form (Attach images as separate files. Include statement and CV documents, which may be combined in to one document)
- Entry Fee ($15)
Your submission will not be considered complete until both steps are complete.
Please fill out the following information. Fields with a * are required. Information in the Airtable form will not save if you navigate away from the page before hitting the blue “submit” button at the bottom of the form. You will receive an email to verify the fee submission via PayPal, but confirmation of submission of the application will appear as a message on the page when you hit the “submit” button. If you have further questions about your application, please contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[this form has been removed]
If not automatically directed once you have submitted the form above, please click here to pay the submission fee.
Questions? Contact Kate at email@example.com.