Submission fee is USD$15. See below for important dates.
Additional opportunities such as calls for art are posted, as they become available, on the Opportunities page.
Young Space invites submissions of contemporary visual art for an online exhibition in Autumn 2019! This is an opportunity to submit your work for consideration for a curated virtual show. I’m also very excited to introduce the next co-curator for a Young Space exhibition, Angeliki Kim, London-based founder of Dynamisk Art Advisory! In a continued effort to make these opportunities more valuable for artists, viewers and collectors, I’m collaborating with curators, gallerists, and other art world professionals to bring a variety of voices to the table. You can read more about Angeliki below! –Kate x
How it works (please read carefully!)
The online shows aim to be internationally accessible, 24/7, curated, professional, virtual presentations of exciting contemporary work from around the world. The show is presented on an autonomous website that is promoted on yngspc.com and via social media, and each work is highlighted individually on the @yngspc Instagram (92K+ followers, including gallerists, curators, and collectors) throughout the run of the show. Artists are not required to ship work unless it is sold.
It’s helpful to check out yngspc.com/artists or scroll through the Instagram gallery to get a feel for the varieties and styles of work there, to get an idea if you think your work aligns with the Young Space aesthetic. Young Space aims to highlight a diverse range of practices. Please note that there is a submission fee, which supports Young Space as an independent curatorial platform.
About the curators:
Angeliki Kim Jonsson is the founder of Dynamisk, a consultancy that provides Curating and Art Advisory services. Alongside the curating and advising activity for galleries and private art collectors, she also runs “Dynamisk In Conversation with..” an ever growing series of vibrant and unique conversations with pioneering individuals from the art world. Her digital footprint is on Instagram, and under the same name ‘Dynamisk’ she shares artworks from her ‘all time favourites’ to newly discovered artistic talents. On Sundays she curates #SundayBlues, which is a weekly edit that features ‘blue’ art work on a Sunday. Mondays are dedicated to #MondayMuse, which features and celebrates contemporary female artists, and Thursday it’s #ArtQuiz time: a quirky quiz inspired to promote art and art history while making learning about art fun! Take the quiz by tuning in on the Dynamisk story. Via Instagram you can also follow Angeliki on her day-to-day life which includes exhibition visits, art previews, lectures and art parties, curating projects, artist studio visits and the occasional visit to an international art fair or two. Angeliki is also the Co-Founder of The Art/Choke an Art organization that focuses on connecting people in the art world through curated art events in London. She is currently based in London, where she is also co-writing her first book.
Kate Mothes is founder and curator of Young Space. To read more about the project, visit yngspc.com/about. She received a Masters in Art History, Theory and Display from Edinburgh College of Art at the University of Edinburgh, and her Bachelors in Art History from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition to yngspc online exhibitions, selected recent exhibitions include Memory Palace at Hastings College, Hastings, Nebraska; Settling the Ghost and BIG LINK at Standard Projects, Hortonville, WI; Crocodile Tears at Morgan Fine Arts and Film Center, Brooklyn, New York; Wolves by the Road at Assembly House, Leeds, UK; and Run Straight Through at Torrance Art Museum, Torrance, California. She was recently guest curator for AucArt LAB in London in March, 2019, curator-in-residence at PADA Studios in Lisbon, Portugal, for the month of April 2019, and juror for the inaugural MFA international print edition of Create Magazine in Summer 2019. Read more here.
Please complete both Step 1 and Step 2 below. Your submission will not be considered until both steps have been completed.
Send any questions or concerns you may have via email to email@example.com. All correspondence will be through email only. If you encounter any issues with this form or any other part of the submission process, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
All artists in all career stages are eligible to submit work for consideration. Work submitted must be new within the last two years. There is no limitation on geographic location, theme, or medium. If selected, you may be asked for additional information, or to participate in an interview for further promotional purposes.
IN BRIEF – WHAT TO UPLOAD in the form below:
- Fill out all fields in the entry form
- Upload images of your work
- Upload a brief statement of your work (300 words max)
- Upload a PDF file of your CV
- Submission fee
SPECIFICATIONS + REQUIREMENTS:
- Artists may submit up to five (5) distinct pieces of work for consideration.
- Only completed artworks will be considered.
- Images must be of professional quality with good lighting. (These are the images that will represent your work online. “Professional quality” can mean actual professional images, or phone photos if they look professional!)
- The below form does not support video files. If submitting video/new media work, please attach a still from each work and include links to the videos online, or send video files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Images and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the form below.
- Artwork does not have to be for sale. For work that is for sale, Young Space will handle all sales and related communication.
- Young Space asks for a 35% commission total on any sales. Please factor in this amount when determining your prices.
- Substitutions are not guaranteed. Please be aware that if an accepted work sells prior to the exhibition or becomes otherwise unavailable, there is no guarantee that another work will be substituted.
- Artists whose work is included in the exhibition agree, if work sells, to package and ship the work in a professional and safe manner, or have it professionally packaged, and posted at the most economical rate. Prospective buyers are responsible for shipping, however at the time of sale the artist will communicate with Kate about the best methods and postage rates for shipment, depending on the size/scale of work, before the sale is confirmed.
- Artists must agree to ship internationally if work sells. Buyers will be responsible for shipping costs.
- Artists must agree to keep the work exclusively available for this exhibition during the length of the exhibition. ie. It cannot be exhibited or for sale elsewhere during the dates that it is available online.
- Entry Deadline: August 31, 2019, 11:59pm CST.
- All artists will be notified of the final decision by Monday, September 23, 2019. If your work is selected, you will receive further information at that time.
- All selected work will be on display online from October 14 – November 3, 2019.
Submission fee is $15 (nonrefundable) per artist, regardless of the number or type of works submitted, limit 5. Online entry only via website (credit/debit card via PayPal). All proceeds from fees cover administrative costs and directly fund Young Space projects and opportunities such as this one. Young Space is totally independent and your support is greatly appreciated!
Agreement & Photography
Young Space reserves the right to use images of the artwork for publicity and educational purposes in perpetuity.
By submitting artwork via this call, the artist is agreeing to the terms outlined above.
- PLEASE LABEL IMAGE FILES USING THE TITLES OF WORK.
- Images must show the exact work you are submitting.
- Images should be a maximum of 3MB each.
- Acceptable file formats are .jpg/jpeg or .png. No PDFs. (PDFs for text documents are OK.)
You will receive an email to verify your submission was received within 2-3 days, as well as a donation receipt for the fee payment. You also will be notified either way if your work has been accepted or not. If your work is accepted, you will receive further information.
Please follow the 2 steps below:
- Online form (Attach images as separate files. Include statement and CV documents, which may be combined in to one document)
- Entry Fee ($15)
Your submission will not be considered complete until both steps are complete.
Please fill out the following information. Fields with a * are required. Information in the Airtable form will not save if you navigate away from the page before hitting the blue “submit” button at the bottom of the form. Please submit this information first, after which you will be redirected to the fee payment page. If you have pop-up blockers enabled, and are not automatically redirected, you can access the fee payment link below.
If not automatically directed, please click here to pay the submission fee.
Questions? Contact Kate at email@example.com.