This opportunity is now closed. Thank you very much to all applicants! All artists who submitted work will be notified of a decision either way by November 31, 2019. Additional opportunities such as calls for art are posted, as they become available, on the Opportunities page.
Submission fee is USD$25. See below for important dates.
Young Space has teamed up with Far x Wide for a unique exhibition at Ortega y Gasset Projects in Brooklyn, NY, which aims to encourage and showcase work by emerging artists, as well as support the mission of New York City nonprofit organization Art Start in their continuing mission to identify and nurture young people through art.
About the coordinators:
Young Space is a nomadic contemporary art platform founded by independent curator/organizer Kate Mothes, with a mission to promote, support, and collaborate with emerging contemporary artists, and to engage artists, students, and the community in meaningful dialogue through unique content and projects. Young Space projects encompass an online presence via web and Instagram, as well as physical exhibitions and international collaborative projects. Find more at yngspc.com/about and on Instagram @yngspc.
Far x Wide is an artist-led initiative founded in 2017 by Jessica Cannon. It is comprised of an ongoing series of art benefits presented through the web, Instagram, and available spaces. Far x Wide seeks to explore a range of themes by bringing artists together and providing an opportunity for the public to support their work while also supporting social and environmental justice organizations. Find more at farbywide.com and on Instagram @f_a_r__x_w_i_d_e!
Ortega y Gasset Projects (OyG) is a non-profit artist-run curatorial collective and exhibition space in Gowanus, Brooklyn. OyG is entirely run by working artists, and recognizes that exploration is key to the sustainment of artistic vitality. Thus, they embark on an exploratory model where artists take the role of curator, critic and promoter. Working without specific intentions of commercial profit or an explicit curatorial ideology, the goal of OyG is to mount exhibitions that provoke interpretation and dialogue, and bolster artistic community. Find more at oygprojects.com and on Instagram @oygprojects.
Art Start uses the creative process to nurture the voices, hearts and minds of historically marginalized youth, offering a space for them to imagine, believe, and represent their creative vision for their lives and communities. Through consistent workshops with long-term partners, including youth organizations, schools, alternative sentencing programs, and residences for youth and families experiencing homelessness, art becomes the starting point of a larger life process, and the start of larger conversations about the future of our communities. Find more at art-start.org and on Instagram @artstartorg.
Please complete both Step 1 and Step 2 below. Your submission will not be considered until both steps have been completed.
Send any questions or concerns you may have via email to Kate Mothes at email@example.com or Jessica Cannon at firstname.lastname@example.org. All correspondence will be through email only. If you encounter any issues with this form or any other part of the submission process, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
All artists in all career stages are eligible to submit work for consideration. Work submitted must be new within the last two years. There is no limitation on geographic location, theme, or medium. Please be aware that if you are applying from outside of the United States, work must be shipped to New York and you will be responsible for all postage and customs fees, if applicable. If selected, you may be asked for additional information, or to participate in an interview for further promotional purposes.
IN BRIEF – WHAT TO UPLOAD in the form below:
- Fill out all fields in the entry form
- Upload images of your work
- Upload a brief statement of your work (300 words max)
- Upload a PDF file of your CV
- Submission fee
SPECIFICATIONS + REQUIREMENTS:
- Artists may submit up to five (5) distinct pieces of work for consideration.
- Only completed artworks will be considered.
- Images must be of professional quality with good lighting. (These are the images that will represent your work online. “Professional quality” can mean actual professional images, or phone photos if they look professional!)
- The below form does not support video files. If submitting video/new media work, please attach a still from each work and include links to the videos online, or send video files to email@example.com.
- Images and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the form below.
- All artwork must be for sale. Young Space/Far x Wide will handle all sales and related communication.
- In lieu of a commission on sales, Young Space/Far x Wide will donate 50% of the proceeds from sales to ArtStart. The remaining 50% goes to the artist.
- Substitutions are not guaranteed. Please be aware that if an accepted work sells, becomes otherwise unavailable, or turns out to be too expensive to ship prior to the exhibition, there is no guarantee that another work will be substituted.
- The cost of shipping artwork within/to the United States is the responsibility of the artist, along with any insurance. Please take this into consideration when submitting works that may cost more to ship or involve customs fees. Kate/Jes are responsible for caring for, storing, and, in the case of a sale, shipping the artwork to a buyer, and will make every effort to keep costs minimal. In the case that an artwork does not sell, return shipping is also the responsibility of the artist. The artist is not responsible for shipping if the artwork sells during the exhibition (buyer covers shipping).
- Work will remain on commission and in New York City with Young Space & Far x Wide for one month following the exhibition. During this time period, yngspc and Far x Wide will continue to promote the work online in an effort to reach viewers who are not in New York City during the weekend of the exhibition at Ortega y Gasset.
- Entry Deadline: 31 October 2019 11:59pm EST.
- All artists will be notified of the final decision by 31 November 2019. If your work is selected, you will receive further information about shipping deadlines at that time.
- All selected work will be on display at Ortega y Gasset Projects, 363 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 3-5 January 2020, with an opening reception on Friday 3 January 2020.
Submission fee is $25 (nonrefundable) per artist, regardless of the number or type of works submitted, limit 5. Online entry only via website (credit/debit card via PayPal). All proceeds from submission fees are split between Art Start, Far x Wide, and Young Space.
Agreement & Photography
Young Space, Far x Wide, Ortega y Gasset and Art Start reserve the right to use images of the artwork for publicity and educational purposes in perpetuity.
By submitting artwork via this call, the artist is agreeing to the terms outlined above.
- PLEASE LABEL IMAGE FILES USING THE TITLES OF WORK.
- Images must show the exact work you are submitting.
- Images should be a maximum of 3MB each.
- Acceptable file formats are .jpg/jpeg or .png. No PDFs. (PDFs for text documents are OK.)
You will receive a donation receipt for the fee payment. A confirmation message appears in the application form below; there is no confirmation email. All applicants will be notified either way if your work has been accepted or not. If your work is accepted, you will receive further information!
Please follow the 2 steps below:
- Online form (Attach images as separate files. Include statement and CV documents, which may be combined in to one document)
- Entry Fee ($25)
Your submission will not be considered complete until both steps are complete.
Please fill out the following information. Fields with a * are required. Information in the Airtable form will not save if you navigate away from the page before hitting the blue “submit” button at the bottom of the form. Please submit this information first, after which a confirmation message and link to fee payment will appear in the form. Thank you!
[form has been removed]
If you are not able to access the link in the form above once you have submitted your application, please click here.
Questions? Contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.